Tuesday 24 May 2011

Birds galore!

Hi everyone,

We had a morning with the BTO's Nest Recorder Jo Jones last week; she showed us how to find birds’ nests and how to go about recording them for the BTO on recording cards. This was a really good day as I had never really thought about birds’ nests, I just assumed they were built away from prying human eyes, but once I got my eye in I realised that nests are pretty much everywhere!

We were shown a wrens nest in the Roger Clarke hide, which was full of chicks, we thought there were only two, but on the Friday, Tim and I were filling the bird feeders, and the Female Wren flew into the hide and fed three chicks right in front of us which was awesome! Though the nest looked cramped enough with two wren chicks in it so we were surprised by the third.

The swan eggs along the lode bank have hatched and there are 4 (there could be more) little signets paddling around with their parents!

I also helped to maintain the community woodland out on White Fen, where we cleared the grass around some 1800 plus trees with a heavy duty mower from Anglesey Abbey (which you steered with the brakes like a tank) and strimmers! But while we were out we could hear a yellowhammer and looked for ages only to find it halfway up an electricity pylon!

Birds are crafty little things!  


Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment